Why Create an Endowment?
The endowment program at St. Olaf continues to grow because more people recognize the benefits of creating their own endowment funds. Some prefer to launch an endowment now so they can see immediate results. Some arrange to establish an endowment gift later with estate assets. Still others prefer to establish an endowment now and add to it through a bequest. Why make an endowment gift to St. Olaf College?
- Durability - The idea of creating a perpetual stream of financial support makes sense to people who see a similarity between retirement funds and endowment provisions. You may like the concept of a fund that is guarded and invested separately from other assets so the principal of the fund will stay intact. Only the income or a portion thereof will be used to support St. Olaf College.
- A Positive Legacy - When your name is attached to an endowment fund, you create an enduring legacy for generations to come. Endowment funds can also be used to honor those who have made a significant impact either in your life or the life of St. Olaf College.
- Perpetuate Annual Gifts - You may see an endowment fund as a way to underwrite your regular giving to St. Olaf College.
- A Stronger St. Olaf - Each year, St. Olaf must raise a certain amount of money to sustain facilities, programs and personnel. Raising money for today's needs is always a priority. Annual payouts from endowment funds relieve some of this pressure and allow the college to plan more confidently for its future.
- Personal Satisfaction - It is very fulfilling to do something that makes a significant difference and leaves a lasting impact.